Monday 4 July 2016

Serena Williams Fined $10,000 for Smashing Racket at Wimbledon: says 'I Was Just Really Angry'

Leave a Comment

Serena Williams' victory in the second round at Wimbledon Friday didn't start off on such a high note. After losing an opening-set tiebreaker, she slammed her racket into the court five times and threw it backwards.
"I was just really angry," Williams told The Guardian . "I had a lot of chances. [Christina McHale] got really lucky on some shots. She just was playing great. I was a little disappointed in myself at that point."

Despite the rough start, the 34-year-old world champion won the final set over fellow American McHale.

After the match, Williams was fined $10,000 for unsportsmanlike conduct and joked at a press conference that she had not yet met her quota on smashing rackets this season.

"I've cracked a number of rackets throughout my career," she said. "I've gotten fined a number of times for cracking rackets. In fact, I look at it like, I didn't crack one at the French Open or Rome, so I'm doing really good. I don't want to go too long without cracking a racket."

She added: "I felt like I was definitely in warrior mode. I was out there playing for my life, playing to stay in the tournament."

Williams secured a place in the fourth round of Wimbledon Sunday and will play Russia's Svetlana Kuznetsova in the next round.
SHARE THIS NEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE SOCIAL NETWORK!

0 comments:

Post a Comment