Monday 4 July 2016

Chris Evans quits Top Gear after just one series: 'I gave it my best shot'

Leave a Comment
Chris Evans in action on Top Gear
Chris Evans has announced that he has decided to leave Top Gear after only one series at the helm.
Following mixed reviews of his first series in charge following Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May's departure, he revealed on Twitter that it was time to quit.

"Stepping down from Top Gear. Gave it my best shot but sometimes that's not enough. The team are beyond brilliant, I wish them all the best."

Evans originally put pen to paper on a three-year deal to host Top Gear and during filming of the show, it was in the headlines repeatedly – although not always for the right reasons.

Evans also issued a direct challenge to the show's critics and hailed the potential for "hundreds of millions" to watch the new show around the globe after its first terrestrial transmission.

Evans elaborated: "I have never worked with a more committed and driven team than the team I have worked with over the last twelve months.

"I feel like my standing aside is the single best thing I can now do to help the cause.

"I remain a huge fan of the show, always have been, always will be. I will continue to focus on my radio show and the allied events that it encompasses."

Top Gear has struggled in the overnight TV ratings this series, especially when going up against Euro 2016 matches .
SHARE THIS NEWS ON YOUR FAVOURITE SOCIAL NETWORK!

0 comments:

Post a Comment